One of the most common, most painful experiences for MCAT test-takers everywhere is taking the MCAT and receiving a disappointing MCAT score...
Knowing you'll have re-test.
It can be discouraging and we hope this MCAT success story inspires you.
We want this to be the last time you ever write the MCAT.
We hope these MCAT success stories give you the confidence you need to know that you CAN get a significant increase in your MCAT score that makes you competitive for med-school.
We also hope you use these case studies to not only use the top scorer tips recommended, but also to learn from their mistakes so you don't make similar ones.
With that said, in this article, we'd like to introduce you to Suman Ali, a top scorer at MCAT Mastery.
When Suman first wrote the MCAT, she scored a 503:
But after revamping her MCAT prep approach and applying correct strategies, she took the MCAT once more and received an impressive 511 score (with a 130 in CARS!):
We asked Suman what were some of the things she did to increase her MCAT score that we could share with you (with a special focus on what materials she used that helped the most).
Here's what she said...
This was my second time taking the exam and I found the ExamKrackers material helped me the most. It was simplified so that it made sense, but all the material was covered.
Additionally, make use of all the practice exams that you can, especially the AAMC ones. They are the most accurate as to what you should expect on the exam. I found the EK ones useful as well because even though I found them harder, the explanations were much better. They describe in detail why the correct answer is correct and same for incorrect answers. They also give you multiple ways to get the answer which helps in training how you should be thinking.
Every time I reviewed a test I would write down why I got it wrong and focused a lot on my thought process by categorizing the answers into "correct by guessing", "incorrect because I did not know", "did not interpret the passage correct" and so on.
Flashcards for things that you should memorize such as amino acids, formulas, and sociological and psychological concepts are really useful.
Lastly the MCAT guide provided by MCAT Mastery was extremely useful and I utilized many of the tools they provided as well.
I did not use the the tools from MCAT Mastery until a month into my prep, but I found it extremely useful. It really helped me hone in my studying and work on more effective strategies.
The tips were extremely useful and easy to practice. I read the strategy guide in one sitting and then broke it down into how I would continue to approach the questions.
I also think the CARS Mastery Report helped me. I started using all the tips they provided in answering questions and it helped me to get the score that I got. Basically, all the information in these packets really helped me towards the end of my studies to focus and use the information I already knew and apply it to answering the questions effectively."
Whether you're retaking the MCAT this year, or whether you're writing it for the first time, KNOW that you are capable of increasing your MCAT score and scoring over 510.
You have what it takes.
It's not about how smart you are. It's not about how there is too much material to learn. It's simply about how you're approaching your MCAT prep.
Stop trying to figure out the approach by yourself.
Stop using the approach of those who don't have 90+ percentile MCAT scores to back up their strategies and advice.
This is your med-school and doctor dream we're talking about...
Don't gamble with it.
Use the proven, most reliable MCAT prep approach out there of top scorers before you...
So your med-school application and years of hard work doesn't end up overlooked and in the rejection pile.
You got this,
The MedLife Mastery Team
Your MCAT Mastery Mentors
P.S. We're grateful to Suman for sharing her MCAT prep advice with you and providing her feedback on how the Top Scorer MCAT Strategy Guide and 130+ Scorer CARS Mastery Report helped her achieve her competitive 511 MCAT score. Thank you Suman!
Additional Reading -- MCAT Success Stories:
- How Jennifer Increased Her MCAT Score By 10 Points In Less Than 30 Days
- A 17-Point MCAT Score Increase: 496 to 513! (ft. Stephanie Hayes)
- From 490 To 511 On The MCAT: His 21 Point Score Increase
- Siraj’s 3-Month 523 MCAT Study Plan As A Full-Time Student
- From 485-495 Plateau + 4 MCAT Attempts To 514 (1.5 Years Later!)
- 41-Year-Old Accountant and Father Dominates The MCAT With a 520!
- Noah’s MCAT Success Story: From 496 To 510 On The MCAT In Less Than 30 Days!
- 19 Point MCAT Score Increase In 6 Weeks While Working Full Time
- From 500 Plateau to 516 in Less than 30 Days (ft. Abbi Shrontz)
- How I Went From 500 To 513 on the MCAT In 4 Weeks
- From 501 Plateau To 513 On The MCAT
- From 499 to 512 on the MCAT in 24 Days
- Melissa’s MCAT Scores Kept Going Down, But She Didn’t Give Up
- How Tanmay Scored 514 On The MCAT In Just 3 Months!
- How Peter Went From 499 To 513 On The MCAT In 8 Weeks
- From 494 (2015) to 502 (2019) to 513 on the MCAT (ft. Jennifer Nagel)
- From 498 To 514 WITH A Busy Schedule!
- From 499 To 511 In 4 Weeks On MCAT Retake!
- From 500 To 512 (Exact Goal Score) In 30 Days!
- From 500 To 514 On The MCAT (2.5 Years Later)
- From 501 To 514 In The LAST 2 WEEKS Before The MCAT!
- From 64th Percentile To 98th Percentile On The MCAT In Less Than 30 Days
- How He Increased His MCAT Score From 499 To 512 In 3 Weeks
- How Kayla Scored 131 In Psych/Soc on the MCAT (MCAT Case Study)
- From 489 To 509: How Miriam Improved Her MCAT Score By 20 Points
- 6 Point Score Increase In the Last Week Before the MCAT
- How Melanie Increased Her MCAT Score By 12 Points (From 505 to 517)
- Interview with a 519 Scorer, Re-Taker, and MS1: Julia Meguro
- MCAT Master Interview With A 100th Percentile Scorer: Priya Swaminathan
- Best MCAT Bio/Biochem Strategies – Top Tips From A 131 Scorer
- From 499 To 515 On The MCAT In 7 Weeks!
- Hope’s MCAT Retake Story: I Went From 500 to 514 In 6 Weeks!
- How Oleksandra Retook The MCAT and Scored 510
- From 503/505 To 511 In The FINAL 2 Weeks!
- How Sara Scored 522 On The MCAT
- Taylor's Secret To Scoring 131 On CARS and 511 on the MCAT
- Tara’s MCAT Study Advice Based On Her 510 MCAT Score
- Jenny's Motivational MCAT Success Story: From 499 To 511 In 3 Weeks?!
- A Non-Traditional Applicant’s 514 (91st Percentile)
- How Lindsay Scored 513 On The MCAT While Working Two Jobs
- How Morgan Improved Her MCAT Score From 498 To 511 While Working Full Time
- 10-Point MCAT Score Jump in 2 Weeks: From 503 to 513!
- Can You Have A Social Life During MCAT Prep? (ft. two 515+ scorers!)